Our Commitment to Sustainability
Spacesaver designs and manufactures products that inspire smarter, more responsible uses of space. The original pioneer of high-density mobile storage, Spacesaver was founded over 50 years ago by a small team who had a simple goal: help companies save space. Just as relevant today as it was in 1972, that space saving goal embodies everything the entire Spacesaver Group works toward giving people the space and tools they need to do their jobs in a way that makes them safer, more productive, and more efficient.
How Saving Space Adds To Sustainability
We’re proud that our products help create better spaces to learn, protect, heal, and grow. Beyond that, the fundamental outcomes of saving space include:
Building Sustainable Products
In addition to the internal and external impacts for physical locations, product design for sustainability is an integral part of our environmental initiative. Spacesaver supports this aspect with storage solutions that:
- Contain an average of 75% recycled steel
- Are built to last a lifetime
- Can be reconfigured, reused, and relocated
- Can leverage existing shelving to reduce material needs
- Integrate alternative materials such as acrylic and glass
- Meet Indoor Advantage™ Gold for Indoor Air Quality (SCS-EC10.3.2014 v4.1)
Sustainable Product Manufacturing
To preserve the availability of natural resources for future generations, we take precautions both locally and globally, because how we build our products is just as important as what we build. Here are some of the ways our manufacturing facility participates in this effort:
- Water is adjusted for pH in a pretreatment process before it is discharged to the City of Fort Atkinson’s Wastewater Treatment Facility for final treatment.
- Spacesaver uses a chemical that is low in phosphates in all five powder coat paint lines.
- Water is recycled in the paint washer process.
- Recycling measures are in place for waste oil, raw materials, product scrap, and more.
- Spacesaver uses truck carriers that are part of the US EPA SmartWay Transportation Partnership.
- Spacesaver Corporation maintains a prairie and wetland area of over 7 acres on the property.
- Controls in our painting process reclaim about 75% of the over-sprayed powder.
- Forklifts are battery-powered when possible.
- Heat from paint ovens and compressors is redistributed throughout the manufacturing facility, maximizing heat reuse.
Support of LEED Green Building Rating System
The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating system was developed by the USGBC to assist owners, architects, contractors, and vendors in designing, constructing, and fabricating products that are environmentally friendly when compared to standard building practices. Spacesaver products can help contribute to LEED credits in a variety of ways, with compact mobile storage systems leading the pack. High-Density Mobile Storage may assist projects in obtaining a LEED rating in five of six categories.
By allowing a dramatic increase - as much as 50 to 100 percent - in on-site storage over conventional, stationary methods, compact storage may help reduce building size, thus minimizing site disturbance, and preserving open space. By greatly expanding on-site storage capacity, an existing facility could be renovated, rather than constructing a new building.
Spacesaver recognizes the importance of supporting the LEED program. Collaboration with a Spacesaver storage specialist early in the project can assist in the achievement of your LEED Certification goal. Contact us today to get started.